Sunday, November 11, 2012

In memory of Cecilia Russell Ash (1944 - 2012)

My dad and the five of us kids lost the matriarch of our family yesterday.

After the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown, so many people said to me, "Your mother must be so worried.  Doesn't she want you to come home?"

But my parents never asked me to "come home".  They knew I was home, here in Japan.  They loved and supported me, and encouraged me to do what I was being called to do, even when that was putting me in potential danger.  

I am who I am today, not only because this is how my parents raised me, but also because they gave me the freedom to make my own choices.  And for that, I am forever grateful.

Cecie and Gerald Ash
 (obituary here)

I will be taking some time off to spend with my family in the US, but I will be back home in Japan soon to continue the work in Fukushima that I am being called to do, the work I have been able to do through the love and support of my parents.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Rest in peace, Cecelia Russell Ash. This is a beautiful tribute, Ian.

Maggie Argentine

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you Ian and your family. She must have been a pretty amazing person to turn you out! :)

Tom Flowers said...

Please accept my most heartfelt condolences, Ian. You and yours are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Ian - Just learned this very sad and very unexpected news. I worked with your Mom at FNB, Allfirst and M&T,and had an office next to her office for several years while we worked for Harry Berry. The last time I saw her was when a group of us ladies had lunch together in Baltimore when she was back for a visit after her retirement. Without question to all who knew her here at the Bank, she valued her children and grandchildren above all. Please accept my condolences. Stacia Shean

Ian Thomas Ash said...

Stacia,

Thank you so much for sharing your memories and for your warm words of condolences. I have forwarded your comment to my dad as well, who I know will appreciate your kindness. Thank you, Ian