Wednesday, April 06, 2011

What to film next?

I never know what I am going to film next.

In the beginning, whether it was the panic-buying of toilet paper in my neighbourhood or the wasteful uses of electricity by big corporations while the rest of lived in fear of rolling blackouts, I just began by filming whatever was happening around me without much planning.

Even when the opportunity to travel up north to the tsunami-devastated city of Ishinomaki came about, I simply went up there to film what I saw without really knowing how I was going to put it together as a documentary.

I never know what I am going to film next.

Last week, my sister forwarded me some e-mails written by ENS Margaret Morton, a sailor in the US Navy who is stationed on the destroyer the USS Mustin. These e-mails offered a first-hand account of her ship's contribution to the rescue and relief effort immediately following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. I spoke with Margaret by phone this week and our conversation and excerpts of her e-mails are accompanied by images captured by the crew of the USS Mustin.

Today I have been thinking about how interesting Margaret's story is. The truth is, it hadn't really occurred to me to document what the US service members stationed in Japan were doing until I read her e-mails.

And even as I have just finished Margaret's story, I am left wondering:

What am I going to film next?

The death and destruction in the north becomes clearer with each passing day, and I continue to think about how best to document the growing fears of radiation contamination and the increasing numbers of displaced refugees that have been evacuated from around the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

In the meantime, I bring to you a moment of hope in Margaret's story.

And like I said:

I never know what I am going to film next.



1 comment:

timerty said...

Maybe you should go to the park and film the cherry blossoms. I would like to see if life has gotten back to normal for those who chose to stay behind in Tokyo.